- West Virginia University College of Law, Morgantown, WV
- J.D. – 2012
- Awards: The Order of Barristers; numerous distinctions for verbal and written advocacy.
- Multidisciplinary Studies, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- B.A. – 2009
- Awards: cum laude graduate; WVU President’s list (multiple awards).
- The Law Office of John Wesley Chancey, PLLC, Hickory, NC – Oct. 2021 – Present
- Attorney at Law – Duties include managing a law practice focused on family law and estate planning.
- University of North Carolina System Office, Chapel Hill, NC – Jan. 2019 – May 2021
- Director of University Compliance – Duties included coordinating gender equity and discrimination compliance programs for the 17 institutions of the University of North Carolina; coordinating with campus partners regarding Title IX, VAWA, Clery, and Campus SaVE; and promoting UNC policy.
- Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC – Mar. 2015 – Dec. 2018
- Associate General Counsel – Duties included providing legal counsel to campus partners on the full spectrum of university operation; coordinating university compliance with statutory schemes; overseeing campus judicial processes; and coordinating emergency behavioral interventions.
- Assistant General Counsel / Chief Compliance Officer – Duties included overseeing the enterprise risk management function; quantifying, analyzing, and responding to organizational risk; providing counsel to constituents regarding personnel grievances, equal opportunity programs, contracts, litigation, and appellate advocacy; and investigating claims of discrimination.
- Adjunct Professor – Taught a freshman seminar on American jurisprudence, which included content focusing on criminal law; police use of force; individual rights; family law; contracts; and armed conflict.
- The Davis Law Group, P.A., Asheville, NC – Jul. 2014 – Nov. 2014
- Legal Contractor – Provided litigation support; participated in a multi-week trial regarding a police chase resulting in death; interviewed prospective clients; conducted claims investigations; and negotiated with insurance companies.
- Law Offices of Hamstead, Williams & Shook, PLLC, Morgantown, WV – Jan. 2012 – June 2014
- Associate Attorney at Law – Duties included managing civil and family law cases from intake to verdict; claims investigation; negotiation; witness interviews; and jury analysis.
- West Virginia University General Counsel’s Office, Morgantown, WV – May 2009 – Aug. 2010
- Legal Graduate Assistant – Duties included conducting legal research; monitoring current events; forecasting regulatory changes; drafting policy and legislation; and learning university processes.
- West Virginia University President’s Office, Morgantown, WV – Aug. 2006 – May 2009
- Intern – Duties included being part of the front office staff; special projects; VIP escort; and other duties as assigned.
- United States Marine Corps, Camp Lejeune, NC – June 2001 – June 2005
- Hon. Discharge; standard four year enlistment; Rank: Sergeant (E-5)
- Operational experience: applied counter-terrorism; infantry tactics; room-to-room battle tactics; and rapid combat theater deployment. Distinguished service as an urban warfare instructor; marine combat instructor of water survival; and antitank assault guided missile-man.