Seeking Modification Of A Court Order

While a court order or separation agreement that does not specify an expiration date is generally intended to be permanent, the truth is that they are not always set in stone. As life continues, after separation and absolute divorce there may be changes in your life or the lives of your children that make it appropriate to modify your child support, child custody or visitation arrangement.

At Helton, Cody & Associates, PLLC, we understand the vagaries of life, and we are here to advise and assist you with all types of modifications. Based in Hickory, North Carolina, our law office handles:

  • Child support modifications — Maybe you lost your job, the other parent gained a higher paying job, you have more overnights with your children than before, or other circumstances changed. In these cases, a change to the child support amount may be appropriate.
  • Child custody or visitation modifications — Changes to custody or visitation orders and agreements are often necessary when one parent relocates, either with or without the children. We can work with you to come up with a new parenting plan that preserves your relationships with your children, even if the physical distance increases. We also help clients request modifications because of the threat of abuse or violence.
  • Alimony modifications — Under certain circumstances, we may be able to help you modify the amount you pay or receive in alimony or post-separation support when there has been a change in circumstances.

Need To Modify An Existing Order? Call Our Law Firm.

At Helton, Cody & Associates, PLLC, our attorneys are available to sit down with you, talk about how your situation has changed and advise you about pursuing a post-divorce modification. To arrange an appointment with one of our highly experienced lawyers, contact us online or call our Hickory office at 828-848-8776 (toll free at 888-321-0494).