Establishing Paternity In North Carolina

Legally naming a man as the father of a child is critical to accomplishing many different goals. If you are the mother and you need to obtain a child support order, you may need to first establish paternity. If you are the biological father and you want to obtain custody or visitation rights for a child born out of wedlock, you will need to establish paternity.

Based in Hickory, North Carolina, Helton, Cody & Associates, PLLC, represents both men and women throughout the area. Our attorneys are determined and resourceful advocates who work toward our clients' goals. We are available to assist with:

  • Genetic testing — DNA testing is the most common way to determine who the father is. Results usually come back within four to six weeks.
  • Affidavits of parentage — In certain instances, fathers can choose to voluntarily acknowledge paternity by completing this document.
  • Financial support and medical benefits — After establishing paternity, our lawyers can help set up a support order through the North Carolina Division of Social Services and Child Support Services (CSS).

Seeking Custody Of Your Child? You Need An Advocate.

If you are a father hoping to gain custody or visitation rights, you should be aware that the court makes these decisions by determining what is in the "best interest of the child." However, a child's "best interest" can be construed in various ways, depending on the situation, the evidence and the skill of your lawyer.

Our lawyers are here to ensure that your financial and parental rights are protected at all stages of the paternity proceedings.

We Are Here To Assert Your Interests — Call Us Today

To arrange an initial consultation about your goals and responsibilities, contact Helton, Cody & Associates, PLLC, by email. Alternatively, you can call our law office in Hickory at 828-848-8776 (toll free at 888-321-0494). We charge $200 for a one-hour consultation.